Wednesday, 24 February 2010

Looking ahead

Jon S. at the 3-Peaks: Ingleborough, Pen-Y-Ghent and Whernside

Yes, it's that time of year again. The thaw has set in and there's energy in the air. You can feel it, or at least I can. It's palpable. Suddenly there's sunlight about the place. There's a new freshness abroad. Why, some people are even smiling.
And so, it's time to renew and replenish. Away with the aches and pains of old age. Out with the running shoes! Show me a mountain. I want to run up it. But not yet.

It's a case of slow and steady at first. A routine must be got into. The body must become accustomed to the new regime. In a few weeks, with 5 kgs less to carry about, this Bard will be flying. It's been a long time, a long winter. But the running season is definitely on the horizon. This cheers me immensely.

Mountains, lakes and riverside paths are still covered with snow. In another month or two the paths and trails will be free. I look at my prizes; running trophies for sexagenarians! Yes, once again, I'll be ready. The call of the trails is irresistible. I can hardly wait.
_______
The FRA Calendar 2010 features mountain and hill races in GB; everything from the Chelmorton Chase (Derbyshire) to the Cader Idris Mountain Race (Wales) and much more, in fact 500 races in all. We don't know how lucky we are! I hope to be over for one or two during the year, if I can escape from the Alps.

1 comment:

Poet in Residence said...

On the MS&T LINK (11 Mar) a 3 min YouTube video of the 2006 Snowdon Race (entry limit 500)