Sunday, 8 January 2012

Bright and early but in the wrong place!

A park in Vienna

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. This morning I went to the venue of the 5km cross country run but there was nobody there and there was no course marked out. Perhaps the event has been cancelled, I thought. Eventually I spotted a man with a dog. Had he seen any runners? Had he seen any race organizers? No and no. But then after a bit of head scratching on both our parts we finally twigged that I must be in the wrong location. There was another park with a similar name. But it was miles away. I thanked him and decided to make my way there. I could watch the race and pick up some information about forthcoming races.

When I arrived the runners were just setting off. I quickly shed my waterproof jacket, changed my shoes and galloped after them, having explained to the organizer standing with stop watch and clipboard that I was now doing a training run. And so it was that I was on my way exactly 4 minutes behind the leaders.

Needless to say I didn't catch them up! But it was great fun trying. Next time I'll be sure to check the location of the race more carefully!

No comments: