Sunday, 12 February 2012

Winter cross-country series

The photographs, from today's 9.35 km race, show the Vienna Cricket and Football cross country course under snow.

Participants and organizers were, as the blue sky testifies, blessed with glorious sunshine; the temperature hovering at about -5 C in the shade for the third episode of the 2011/12 Winter series.

After warming up for 15 minutes for the 5.75 km race I discovered that I would be able to run without jacket and gloves and so I discarded these items, although I decided stick with the other layers; elasticated shorts both over and under the running pants and knee-length thermal socks underneath - precautions against the proverbial early-season muscle injury.

I don't possess a pair of spikes so I elected to run in my NB fell-running shoes. They coped very well apart from one or two icy patches and some compressed snow sections.

some tight bends

a rare sight today - bare legs

a runner entering the straight

the sprint for line

ticking off the laps

5.75 km Result:
1. W Wallner 20:48
14. O Rupp M60 28:17
18. G Almer 2M60 31:33
19. G Williams 3rd M60 31:40
20 finishers
1 DNF

No comments: