Sunday, 1 April 2012

Micah True found dead


The legendary trail runner Micah True the organizer of the Copper Canyons Ultra Marathon and the 'hero' of the best-selling book Born to Run has been found dead. He failed to return from his last training run in the New Mexico canyons. A full scale search, involving many rescue agencies and volunteers was quickly underway. The body was subsequently found in the rugged terrain. The cause of death is not yet known.

True, also known as Caballo Blanco, had set out on his last run wearing shorts, t-shirt, running shoes and carrying a bottle of water; but without his dog which hadn't fully recovered from the previous day's run. I am deeply saddened but I console myself that Micah True, who named himself for the Old Testament prophet Micah, died doing what he loved to do best and that is running and enjoying the natural world and the trails. To his memory I dedicate this picture I took on the Ardudwy Trail in Wales.


2 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Wouldn't we all love to die in the midst of doing the thing we love best Gwilym.

Last year I fell into a coma and was in it for a whole day. When I awoke, thankfully unscathed, I was suddenly no longer afraid of death because had I not awoken I would never have known would I?

How old was this chap by the way?

Gwil W said...

Hi Pat, Micah True was 58. I'm glad you said that about your coma. It's worth knowing.