Sunday, 9 September 2012

48th Karriegel Trail Race

2011 Karriegel Race t-shirt

The 2012 running of the Karriegel Trail race took place this morning and was ably organized by the members of Pressbaum ASV.

Last year there was a plague of wasps and I believe that two small children were stung. This year, in complete contrast, there was not one wasp to be seen. The weather was warm and dry.

The main event was, as always, over the original 5.2 mile undulating cross country circuit which has, I'd guess, approximately 600ft of height gain.

The route takes in a variety of scenery and running surfaces: steep and narrow woodland paths, fast and wide gravel paths, shady  trails alongside meadows; and prior to the finish a stiff uphill section of road where some are reduced to a walk. It all makes for an honest and testing race.

I enjoyed the event and had the feeling that I was running faster than last year when I was placed first M60 and rewarded with a silver cup and a carrot cake, and so it proved; but despite being over a minute quicker this time, I had to be content with 4th M60 place. And I was.

I hope to be back next year; and I'm already looking forward to the 50th edition of the race in 2014.

Result:
48th Karriegel Trail Race 9th September 2012
8.3km / 200 mtrs hd (?)

1  - C Funke  - u/a - 32:47
16- S Gehnböck - Pressbaum - 1L - 35:55
37- G Hörzinger - Pukersdorf - 1M60 - 41:03
60- G Williams - Clayton H - 4M60 - 43:25

108 finishers



No comments: