Sunday, 13 October 2013

24th Int. Kahlenberg Mountain Race




I took a photograph of a double rainbow; a creation of old testament proportions which suddenly appeared in a light shower in the early evening over Vienna yesterdy. To see the whole of the bow at once was an impossibility. The best I could hope to do was to capture a small portion of it with my camera.

My inexpensive camera is not  good for taking rainbow images but this bow was so amazingly bright and so big that I took the chance. And it paid off.

The photo, by the way, is completely unretouched and shows the scene as it appeared in reality.

Was the rainbow was a good omen for me?

The hills on the horizon at the foot of the bow were coincidentally the venue for this morning's 24th running of the International Kahlenberg Mountain Race in which I was due to take part.

Athletes from no less than 16 nations enjoyed the race:-

Austria
Hungary
France
Poland
USA
Germany
Slovakia
Japan
Slovenia
Serbia
Albania
Philippines
Italy
Czech Republic
Egypt
Great Britain.

I have to admit that I didn't stumble over a proverbial pot of gold along the trail, but maybe I nearly did for my final reward was a place on the podium and a gold and silver medal on a red and white ribbon for finishing 2nd of the 9 runners in my age category.

Here's the result:

24th International Kahlenberg Mountain Race, Vienna
13th Oct 2013
8.6kms / 460mtr hd

1st Martin Gansterer 37:02
101st Hans Müller 53:28 1stM65
122nd Gwilym Williams 55:53 2ndM65

188 finishers



No comments: