Sunday, 7 May 2017

Today's Wings for Life World Run Live on Internet TV - Video Link



Race Start is 12 noon (UK Time) 1 pm Central European Time. http://www.redbull.tv/  Coverage starts about 1 hour earlier.

It's gonna rain. And I'm gonna get wet. So why do it? Simple. We're running for those who can't!

Tip: From the Red Bull TV homepage scroll to Live Events and select Wings for Life World Run.


The race began in sunshine but after an hour it did rain as predicted. The Austrian winner my friend Lemawork Ketema a refugee from Ethiopia but now a naturalized Austrian had to battle rain and gusty winds but still broke his own personal best and finished 3rd in the world behind the Dubai winner (a wheelchair athlete from Sweden) and the Milan winner (an ultra runner from Poland).

It took 6 minutes to get from starting block 3 to the start line and about the same again to run to the 1km marker due to negotiating a path through many slower runners. In the end I reached the 12 km point (where I stopped and waited for the Catcher Car) in about 72 minutes by my watch. I calculated my final time as 66 minutes, which is 5min 30secs average pace per km, roughly what I was aiming for.

The first estimate is that spinal cord research will receive something like 6.8 million euros from runners' entry fees and donations.



official result (provisional) :
Over 155,000 registered runners!

53,947 th overall worldwide 
37,531 st male worldwide 
6,686th in Vienna 
16th m65 in Vienna 



No comments: